The Rocket Refurb - Strip Out
The first two weeks of the Rocket Refurb at our new 5000 square feet of office space were taken up with the strip out. This includes the removal of old flooring, ceiling tiles, electrical and plumbing, as well as the current decoration.
Here are our top tips for this stage of the project:
- Make sure your strip out is planned and methodical. Some things need to be done before others, and trades don’t want to be under each other’s feet, so make sure they’re scheduled at appropriate times. This also helps prevent any over damage e.g. something being unnecessarily ripped out or demolished. This is an easy way to save time and money, by making sure that everyone knows what they are supposed to be doing and when.
- Start your strip out on the floor/area that is going to have the most refurbishment work carried out, so that the building work can commence as soon as possible.
- Anything that is being taken down for the moment but being reinstated needs to be labelled with a number that corresponds to its location. This saves time when it comes to putting things such as blinds, back up once the fit out is complete.
- Appoint an asbestos services company to carry out a survey and safely remove any asbestos before the strip out commences.
- Don’t underestimate the number of skips you will need for the all the junk that’s been stripped out. A skip company will be able to advise you on what size skip you need, and how to liaise with the local council about parking permits for each skip.
All trades worked together to strip the place back to its bare bones. Next, partition walls were constructed to create meeting rooms and collaborative spaces, and the New Memphis-style decoration began to take hold.